|Documents in this information release||
CAB-20-SUB-0108: COVID-19: Overview of the Government’s response and economic response package (16 March 2020)
CAB-20-SUB-0103: COVID: Tax measures (16 March 2020)
CAB-20-SUB-0118: Order in Council: Goods and Services Tax (Grants and Subsidies) Amendment Order 2020 (23 March 2020)
CAB-20-SUB-0127: COVID-19 recovery package: increases to main benefits and the Winter Energy Payment (23 March 2020)
CAB-20-SUB-0128: R&D Tax Incentive: Reducing the impact of COVID-19 on business R&D (23 March 2020)
This information release was added to the tax policy website on 5 April 2022.
This information release and the single PDF with all the documents is provided for convenience.
COVID-19 Response (Taxation and Social Assistance Urgent Measures) Act 2020 – 2020 Cabinet papers
This information release includes Cabinet papers, policy reports and advice related to the COVID-19 Response (Taxation and Social Assistance Urgent Measures) Act 2020, enacted on 25 March 2020. These were published on the Government’s COVID-19 website on 8 May 2020.
The Act covered these topics:
- Income tax
- Depreciation on non-residential buildings
- Increase in the provisional tax threshold
- Increase in the low-value asset write-off threshold
- Research and development tax credits – broader access to refunds
- Tax administration
- Use of money interest remission
- Information sharing
- Social assistance
- Removal of hours test from the In-Work Tax Credit
- Winter energy payment
- Working for Families tax credits entitlement for emergency benefit recipients
- GST on COVID-19 related social assistance payments