News and information about the Government's tax policy work programme, including:
- proposed changes to the laws that Inland Revenue is responsible for
- updates on the progress of bills through Parliament
- policy announcements
Government tax policy work programme 2016-17
As at 18 November 2016 (see the page history for details of changes).
The tax policy work programme covers these areas:
- Enhancements to tax policy within broad-base, low-rate (BBLR) tax settings;
- International tax and base erosion and profit shifting (BEPS); and
- Business transformation and Better Public Services.
Developing and implementing any Budget initiatives as appropriate.
NON DISCRETIONARY WORK
- Supporting other policy areas, committees and agencies – Providing support for tax issues that arise out of non-tax Government priorities, such as Treaty of Waitangi settlements.
- Supporting Ministers – Providing policy advice on issues raised by Ministers.
- Supporting bills before Parliament
|Business transformation||Accounting income method determination *||November 2016 – February 2017|
|BT review of the Tax Administration Act||December 2016 – February 2017|
|BT individuals’ taxation||April – May 2017|
|BT social policy||July – August 2017|
|International tax||BEPS package including:
||February – April 2017|
|Enhancements to tax policy
low-rate tax settings
|MSD/IR information sharing||November – December 2016|
|Demergers *||November 2016 – January 2017|
|Impact of case law on the ‘voting interest’
test for corporate trustees *
|December 2016 – January 2017|
|Feasibility expenditure||February – March 2017|
|Taxation of non-bank securitisation vehicles *||March – April 2017|
|Financial arrangement issues||March – April 2017|
|Trust beneficiaries as settlors *||April – May 2017|
|Deductibility of holding costs for revenue
|May – July 2017|
|Income protection insurance||July – September 2017|
|Conferences||CA ANZ conference||November 2016|
|SGATAR conference||November 2016|
|IFA conference||March 2017|
|Bills||Closely held companies bill enactment||December 2016 – March 2017|
|Business tax and exchange of
information bill enactment
|December 2016 – March 2017|
|Omnibus taxation bill introduced||February – May 2017|
|Other events||Multilateral instrument open for signing||December 2016 – January 2017|
|Business transformation stage 1 go live (GST)||February – April 2017|
* Limited consultation | Timeframes are indicative
Previous work programmes:
- Last updated: 18 November 2016
- Changes made:
- 18 November 2016 - Minor formatting change (timeline graphic moved before table)
- 17 November 2016 - Indicative timetable for 2016–17 consultation and events added (and version in a table), timetable added to the printable version of the work programme (for 8 November 2016 version see: PDF (53 KB), DOCX (43 KB)), minor edits
- 9 November 2016 - Printable version of the tax policy work programme added, page history added.
- 8 November 2016 - Updated tax policy work programme added, links to previous tax policy work programmes added.