Moving to electronic transfer of information

Should moving to the new system be voluntary?

It is important that no-one is excluded by the move to accounting systems interacting with IR systems. Paper filing will remain available for the foreseeable future. Simple electronic solutions will be available for those for whom the cost of software may be a barrier.

Inland Revenue has already started working with software developers and a pilot is expected to start in December 2015.

Adoption of the use of accounting systems which interact with IR systems will be voluntary, for the foreseeable future at least.

Question

Do you support the proposal that adopting the new services should be voluntary for GST information?

Comments

Maxine
Yes it should be voluntary.

David Williamson

Haydn J
Yes, it should be voluntary. There will always be small businesses that do not want/need an accounting system, or electronic filing.

Andrew Johnson
The system should not be voluntary, it costs us all when we have inefficient process - we should be challenging ourselves as to how we can improve!

Fiona Cargill
Yes it should be voluntary.

Joanne
Yes, definitely voluntary.

Lyn
Yes it should definitely be voluntary.

Xan Harding
As a rural resident who struggles with the quality of internet access and regularly gives up on online transactions because the systems can't cope with the long delays & dropouts that are normal service in the countryside, I don't think moving to electronic systems should be compulsory. I do think there could be improvements to MyIR to make it easier to have multiple logins. Its an easy system to use if your PC remembers your login/password but much less convenient if you have multiple legal entities and have to have multiple logins. I can't even begin to think how I'd handle my 2 grouped GST entities if I had to do it online. All that said, filing my PAYE via MyIR works pretty well most of the time.

Delwyn Shaw
Absolutely - not everyone will want to (or be able to afford to) use accounting software that integrates with IRD

Nadine Banfield
Voluntary. You need to consider the very small businesses that don't use or require accounting software etc.

KIRIL KIRILOV
Definitely voluntary.

michele hunt
voluntary absolutely until software systems can work well on all platforms, and small businesses shouldn't be forced to get payroll software

Di
Voluntary

Di
I hope you are going to listen. I do some of my filing when internet is not an option. Also, it appears that as the same time as consulting you are pressing forwards regardless so please voluntary seems the only fair option.

peter Warwick

Ian McKee
Yes - voluntary is just fine.

Peter R
Yes entirely voluntary

Old School Bean Counters still exist
There are a number of people who do the accounting for trusts and companies that still do it manually using spread sheets. Some entities have large transactions but only a handful each year and a spread sheet and manual filling of GST forms is the easiest and quickest way to keep the required records. IRD should never mandate the need to file any form electronically as they may not achieve "making tax simpler" but make it more complicated for some entities.

Fiona Palmer
It must remain voluntary. Personally, it would be great. We use Xero and I can see it wouldn't take much to move to automatic filing from within the system. However, a lot of businesses don't have the software and shouldn't have to get it if they don't need it.

Christopher Fidoe
Yes it should be voluntary as we do not do things electronically as a very small business.

Saul Dalton
So do we. Nothing wrong with pen and paper.

erik Jacobson
Yes it should be voluntary. Not all small business (1-5 staff) can afford the purchase, upgrading and continual maintenance and support costs associated with such a capable system.

Saul Dalton
Please make it voluntary. We are a tiny business that can't afford the expensive software systems that bigger businesses have. Also our internet coverage is rubbish. These changes appear to be making it more difficult for some businesses. Sorting out the provisional tax nightmare would be far more benefical.

Ronise Paul
It most definitely should be voluntary, otherwise any potential savings realised will soon be consumed for those that then need to purchase an accounting software package

Trish
Yes, definitely optional

Simon Farrell-Green
Yes – everyone's business is different and electronic systems do come at a cost, which may not suit part-time businesses. It would also create real problems for people who are not particularly computer literate.

Mark Baker
Yes IRD should always provide electronic filing but only ever as an option; there are many VERY small businesses and hobby businesses that would benefit from retaining the paper option. Having said that we do find electronic filing very useful.

Ashok Bhat
Yes, adoption of the new software should be voluntary or optional, not compulsory - due to the cost barrier for many small businesses like myself not having the funds to have an integrated accounting system that can be linked to IRD. Electronic filing of returns is great, but not necessarily or compulsorily through an integrated accounting system.

Mark
Yes should remain voluntary. The current system of electronically filing is cumbersome and more time consuming that simply completing the paper form and posting.

Sarah
Provided it remains voluntary then it is a good additional tool that some businesses will find useful. If it is made compulsory then I am 100% against it as it will have a huge negative impact upon small businesses like my own.

jane
Yes it should be voluntary. Small businesses, especially, can not afford to keep upgrading software - or those that do manual accounts may not have software to upgrade!!

Russell Osborne
I believe that it must be voluntary so our rights are not c ompromised .and computers cost money to run and they can crash which means that they are not as reliable as the present system is.Dont hold a gun to our heads. Its undemocratic.

Bernadette
Yes definitely voluntary

Barry Littlewood (for First Littlewood Trust and AE Littlewo
By all means let people do their GST on line if that suits both them and you. But please, please, please don't make it compulsory. I fear and tremble to think of the horrible state I'll be in if you force me to do it on line. In fact, I shan't do it on line simply because I'd be unable to do it. So if it were compulsory I'd have to get my accountant to do it, an unnecessary expense . Note that in answer to your above question, what is my name, I was debarred by your website from giving the full name of one of the taxpayers that I do GST returns for. If your website trips me up when I'm only trying to give a sensible answer to your question, I am again filled with apprehension as to dealing on line with GST.

Zany
Definitely should be on a voluntary basis only

Annee spencer
Yes of course

Susan Young
Yes, it should be voluntary, not compulsory

Hilton
Must be voluntary or else substantially increase the limit at which businesses must register. Small businesses will not always need or use accounting software.

Lorene Thompson
It should be voluntary

Dennis Thomas
I do GST returns for 3 very small entities at the moment, and find the current on-line process to be excellent. But I'm not sure it should be compulsory, but if it's being considered perhaps only above a threshold so that small players, charities, societies etc could continue the option of paper.

Steve
Should be voluntary. happy with the way I do GST at present.

Al Hanline
I agree the new service should be voluntary

Robert Feldman
Electronic filings are fine provided one is not obliged to spend any money on extra software. I currently own a small business with no employees and calculate my GST using a spreadsheet. I then enter these figures into the IRD web site, so no paper involved. I think this current system works really well for small businesses.

Dan Harman
To be honest, if your software can file for you there appears to be no good reason why not. Xero does a great job of compiling my GST return which I then have to manually type into the IRD website. Please hurry up land integrate the two.

Financial Adviser
Absolutely! If the technology is already being developed and it is another option for us business owners then great. I hope that it doesn't cost us more in the long run though??? Xero have just put their monthly payments up by $7 extra a month.

David Fish
Does anyone else find it ironic that in a process purportedly to simplify the tax system, one of the changes may be useful to the taxpayer, and the other two would make it easier and faster for the IRD.

Tony
This should be optional, we do not need/use electronic accounting and have no wish to start. I'm fine with the old paper system, thanks.

Serena Perry
Yes should be voluntary as we are a one man business and if we had to go to buy an accounting system it would cost us more monthly so no benefit here. Also just going online and filling in the numbers as we do presently for GST works well for us. HOwever I do support direct crediting of refunds though.

Ivan T Mi Privaci
Yes it should be voluntary. People are talking about efficiency here but not about (financial and personal safety). Even if IRD provides end-to-end encryption for the link my PC is still vulnerable to hacking because of what others may choose to browse on my PC, leaving doorways open for hackers to steal personal and financial info. Pen and paper are not subject to the same level of risk - particularly if the accounting software and/or spreadsheets are not connected to the net (or only connected occasionally for say 5 minutes/month). Electronic transactions result in a shift of greater risk to businesses and individuals, many of whom cannot afford to maintain robust computing infrastructure.

Sue Teki
I have read the summary of changes and the basic tinkering with the administration of PAYE and GST. in my opinion these changes in no way assist "small" business - but would assist larger companies and assist the IRD with earlier collection of information and funds. In general I find PAYE is generally simple and easy - but GST takes us many hours to code and collate due to the rules and regulations around GST application. I think the whole GST system needs to be simplified. Ask any small business owner and they say that GST is the bane of their lives causing many extra hours work and stress - there must be a better way even if it means scraping GST and increasing general tax rates !