Implementing the change for PAYE Information

If you run a small or medium payroll what will influence you to change?

Simple payroll software, perhaps available as an app over a mobile phone or tablet, is likely to be an attractive option for some very small employers. Inland Revenue’s upgraded internet portal will also be available as an alternative, and will be accessible with mobile devices. Paper channels will also remain available for those who cannot access digital services and to small employers, below the digital filing threshold, who do not wish to use any of the digital options.

Questions

1.  If you run a small or medium payroll, what factors would be most influential in determining whether you would choose to upgrade to software offering the new PAYE services?

2.  If you run a small payroll or medium and were required to provide PAYE information at the time of the business process what options would you consider and why?

Comments

Martin Hay
Not interested in apps on my phone. Happy for something like that on my computer where I can keep records and save data. Phones get lost/broken/stolen.

Haydn J
1. Ease of use. Cost. 2. Registered Payroll Intermediary. Qualify for the subsidy, let them do the work.

David Williamson
From experience I would suggest that the Government NEVER take into account the cost and compliance for employers. It should remain up to the employer as to whether they want a manual system or software system. Particularly where they have less than 5 employees.

Software training contractor
1. Minimising fixed ongoing costs. Access to support is also high on the list. Ease of use and interactivity with other systems would be a consideration. 2. Outsource the job!

Chris Fitzgerald
Because my exiting payroll software is integrated into other business processes I would not change without a legislative requirement. I imagine my payroll software provider would like to change the software to keep me as a customer but the electronic filing from that system is already "clunky" with multiple steps to file each report so I would probably have to change, but I would want to schedule it for a future financial year-end. And I would resist for as long as I could because of the time cost and dollar cost to plan and implement the change.

Joanne
1. Cost. The cost of these changes always falls on the business, and can't always be recouped in the cost of the service. 2. Would have to do it myself, though I feel I already spend more than enough of my time in handling various tax requirements.

Tania
We run a very small payroll, still manually after 28 years, as the cost to run a payroll system is just not worth it. If there was a subsidy or some relatively cheap software available then I would certainly consider upgrading to the new PAYE services but still think they should only be sent once a month. Monthly reporting enables any errors made in that month to be rectified before being sent. Of course if the software had a check of it's own then providing PAYE information at the time of the process would be OK.

Lyn
Again - we are already electronic and pay our dues as required. I understand there are business on manual systems which may slow the processes up. I do NOT agree with the underlying push of this survey where all control will be delivered to some new fancy payroll system which will charge whatever it likes and which will be mandatory for all! Again - what is the push here?

Phil
Not interested in payroll software also it won't be mac compatible, only one employee takes 2 minutes a month to process it.

Nadine Banfield
Not interest in any sort of business software - far too small to warrant the expense!

michele hunt
With just 2 shareholder employees, married to each other and shared accounts, I do not need the expense or complications of a payroll system and any financial assistance will not change this. My IR is enough for us.

shaun jenkin
i would like to see the IRD offer small employers (say upto 5 employees), an online payroll system, where weekly deductions can be calculated and holiday pay/sick pay worked out. perhaps incl payslip info. i would happily pay the IRD more often, as it keeps my bookwork simple.

Nadine Banfield
No - we are a small business and only pay PAYE for one person. We do not have and are not considering at any stage to use Payroll software.

Ian McKee
Cost and ease of use are the two big factors. Got to be free of cost to excite me.

janis mclauchlan
My husband is approaching retirement and we no longer employ staff. Quite frankly we are not interested in buying expensive accounting software and we manage alright with the system we have.

Chris Peace
If Xerox offered the system, no problem. If the IRD portal, I'd probably stick with a paper system.

Andrea
I presume you are meaning Xero throughout?

Brenda Allinson
I keep my payroll software up to date, but I see the possible new rules as another job to do for IRD each pay day (weekly) rather than IRD - once a month for PAYE. In general I am not in favour of any change whether it be PAYE or GST at this time.

Fiona Palmer
IRD should implement a free payroll system that you can log into to generate your payroll. It would always be compliant and for those who are too small to have their own payroll system there would be no barrier to cost.

Paul Castle
Why any small business would want to manage PAYE by themselves is beyond me. There are vry competent payroll practitioners that remain current with new requirements and best practice and keep their clients informed of changes, handle filing with ird etc. The govt has to make changes to remain efficient but a small business owner can quickly become overwhelmed doing non- productive things. I employ 6 and love sending the $107 payment every month knowing it is an investment in my time - not a cost.

Bernadette
Fortunately our accounting software happens to include payroll software. If it didn't, I'd still be processing wages manually. So the biggest factor is cost, but also ease of use...

Common Sense
In response to questions: 1. Government meeting at least 50% of all costs attributable to a payroll system not just upgrade costs. 2. Would go back to operating a manual payroll system and tell IRD and the Government to take a hike.

Suzanne Ashton
1. Our payroll software SmartPayroll has this capability. The only factor preventing us from upgrading to paying PAYE each payrun is there isn't sufficient funds in the business account to cover it, our cash flow is set up to have these funds available around 20th/each month. 2. May need to downsize the business/staffing to be able to afford paying PAYE each pay cycle.

Financial Adviser
Bearable cost, ease of use and subsidy from the government to use it.

Mario Becroft
I would use an improved IRD web site directly to enter information rather than using third-party payroll software, which implies an IT administrative overhead. I suggest avoiding the need to submit data at time of business process.